Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Solemn Day

When I was younger I heard people say "I remember where I was when JFK got shot. . . "
I had no perspective to wrap my mind around it.  I was a kid, and to me the fact that my Grand-mama kept a commemorative plate in her kitchen of JFK and Robert Kennedy did not strike a nerve or mean anything.  I was born in 1967 so  could not quite understand that "Camelot" time.  On September 11th 2001 I remember the day too well.  The day was surreal, as if it couldn't be (true).  The days that followed were eerily haunting because no planes flew for about 2 more days. Moreover, no one knew what was going to happen next.



Looking back now, I have more perspective than before in many areas of life and I draw on what I have read, heard and experienced. The two quotes that come to mind are:

Vigilance and  inaction are diametric opposites.  Our time to beat our swords into plowshares and spears into pruning hooks has not yet come, whether it be proverbial or literal. The Christian is commanded by Saint Peter to be vigilant because of a spiritual enemy, the the Martial Artist trains so he will be prepared to win without fighting.  Both require a model citizen and a ready mind when true injustices come to call and serve their brothers and sisters with a pure heart!

How do you think a Christian or Martial Artist should serve their community in times of trouble?

No comments:

Post a Comment