Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Thou Shalt Not Murder and Manslaughter

In my last post I mentioned the commandment  “thou shalt not kill“.  I explained that one of the 10 Commandments Exodus 20:13 is often misinterpreted. There is a definite difference between murdering a person in cold blood and accidental death.  This is an odd subject since I only wish to discuss self defense and not murder. But I feel led to post this as well. There are times when God gives life and takes it away (Job 1:21 read in context).  This is expected since all life comes from him.  But we see a definite pattern in the Bible where governments are given power to take life to restrain lawlessness, and it is not marked as a sin (Noah in Genesis 9:5; Romans 13:1-7 )  ( Luke “Fear not him that can kill the body)  Even in certain circumstances a person secure in their home can defend and kill an intruder (See Exodus 22:2)

Later Moses explained murder and manslaughter in Numbers 35:16-24
Jesus explained in Matthew 19:18 with “Thou shalt do no murder”  (also see Proverbs 1:10-19)  The time and place for any pugilistic action against another is limited, but in our sinful and sometimes chaotic world a necessity.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at web and blog sites to gather more information, to include what I have at my disposal. I do realize that a person set in their own opinions is not easily swayed, but isn’t the right to be secure and free from harm by protecting ones self a basic right and desire?

Secondly, if force is not matched with force, isn’t a person who commits a vile act more likely to do it again?

What do you think?  Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment